Tuesday, September 04, 2007

How Much Did I Accomplish?

Today was the first day back since I left on holidays back in July. Today’s weather was perfect for a long bike ride or a quiet day of fishing but alas, my employer, the school board requested demanded my attendance. It was the first day in over five weeks that I wore a long pair of pants and a dress shirt since beach wear or biking wear was most certainly not the coolest thing to wear in front of the class!

So, after a large coffee, I made my way into class and prepared for the first day of school. Needing my attendance book, I unlocked the file cabinet and pulled open the drawer. The first thing I saw was a note I had written to myself on the last day of school. It read: “How much did you accomplish this summer? Are you satisfied?” “Wow!” I thought to myself as I stood there for a long moment pondering exactly what I really did accomplish this summer.

As I look back on this summer, I must admit that I didn’t exactly accomplish everything that I set out to do and yet, there were a number of tasks that I set out to finish that I did complete. I suppose that I could sit here and try to justify why I didn’t do everything but I am not going to because there is more to summer and more to holidays than working your butt off.

And so… How much did I accomplish? I accomplished about half of what I wanted to do. What did I do with the other half of the summer? I enjoyed it and I am satisfied that I chose to do just that!

And so I am back to the real world of work! Yuck!! Actually, it’s really not so bad! As I look to this fall, I have a number of tasks that I need to do along with the ones I did not do over the summer and yet I know that, though I will slug away at attempting to complete each and every thing, I will also find some time to relax and enjoy life. I hope you can do the same!

Good to be back!

8 comments:

Janice Thomson said...

I think you found the perfect balance Dave...half work and half play...and the things that were not done always seem to still be there so maybe next summer they will be completed.
Look forward to your entertaining posts.

Jazz said...

Meh, if I had the summer off, I sure as hell wouldn't use it to accomplish anything but lots of sleep and lots of reading.

Jo said...

Dave, I accomplished just what I wanted to accomplish, which was to do exactly what I felt like each, day, or nothing at all. Of course, unlike you, I still had to go to work, but the rest of the time, I just blobbed. That's why God invented summer :-)

heiresschild said...

hi dave, i didn't accomplish all that i set out to do either, but my whole summer ended up going a way that i hadn't anticipated. there is good and bad in that, but i did get some much needed rest.

Cheryl said...

I just wanted to spend as much time outside as I could this summer. I accomplished that!

Billy said...

Glad you are back. I had to take a week off from blogging so I could concentrate on work. Now things are slowing down a bit, so I can now enjoy your blog once again.

Becky Wolfe said...

I agree - work & play should be satisfying. I find work, play and procrastination in my balance. Procrastination gets in the way of both I'm afraid...but I'm working on it. (Actually, I should be WORKING but here I am, blog reading hahaha)

Dave said...

Hey janice!

Well, regarding the "next summer" comment. I have still yet to do things from a few sumemrs back! LOL

Hi Jazz!

Well Sleep and read were two of my favorites as well. What would summer be without them? :-)

Hi Josie!

I agree with you on God's purpose of inventing summer... I just wish He invented in a few months longer! LOL

Hi Heiresschild!

I am glad you got the needed rest. I also hope that the "bad" wasn't too bad.

Hi Cheryl!

From reading your posts, I can see that. Nothing is healthier than the summer sun on our bodies... Well not TOO MUCH sun.

Abbagirl!

I was wondering where you were... I don't think I have met too many who spend as much time with work than you! ;-) Hopefully, you had time to relax alot this summer.

Hi Becky!

Procrastination... Now THERE's one of my problems I should blog about! I am going to have to keep that in mind! LOL