Thursday, November 02, 2006

Did You Tip the Barber?

Gratuities are becoming more and more of a common place in our society. More commonly known as tipping, we flip over anywhere from a couple of dollars on up to bell hops, luggage carriers, waiters and waitresses, barbers and hairstylists … you name it!

Now I am most certainly not against tipping the standard professions but what about the guy behind the McDonald’s counter? What about the gal serving you your coffee at Starbucks? What about the bus driver? The taxi guy? What about everyone else who does anything for you? When does it stop?

From what I hear, tipping is a multi-billion dollar industry and yet if you ask ten different people as to how much you should tip, you will get eleven different answers (there’s always someone who can’t just give one answer!) and you will probably find that at least one of them would expect some gratuity for giving you their opinion!

Like I said, I am not opposed to tipping but I try to keep it to the main service sector such as sit down food restaurants, airport terminals, bell hops and barbers. So all you Wendy’s, McDonald’s, Burger Kings, Starbucks and Horton’s employees, don’t expect a tip from me because I gave all my cold hard change to my barber, my waitress at The Keg Steakhouse and my luggage carrier at Toronto International Airport!

No comments: