Friday, November 03, 2006

Will You Be Missed When You Are Gone?

Eleanor Rigby picks up the rice in the church where a wedding has been … Lives in a dream Waits at the window, wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door … Who is it for?

Father McKenzie writing the words of a sermon that no one will hear … No one comes near.

Look at him working. darning his socks in the night when there's nobody there … What does he care?

Eleanor Rigby died in the church and was buried along with her name … Nobody came
Father McKenzie wiping the dirt from his hands as he walks from the grave … No one was saved

All the lonely people ... Where do they all come from?
All the lonely people ... Where do they all belong?


Eleanor Rigby

The Beatles


How many friends do you have? I am not speaking about people who you pass on the way to work or even the people you simply work with. I am referring to people who want to be around you all the time because of the type of person you are. I am talking about people who love you, respect you, protect you, miss you when you are not around and spend time with you when you are.

Awhile ago, as I was driving through a cemetery in my home town, I observed a minister presiding over a grave site. Off in the distance was the maintenance pickup truck waiting for the service to conclude. There was no one else there to pay their final respects to this individual. After the minister departed, the truck came by and filled up the grave and moved on its way to its next area of responsibility.

How sad it would be to die alone in this world … To spend a lifetime on Earth and to have no one grieve for you or even miss you… How lonely! I cannot wonder what type of person he or she was to have no friends or no loved ones at their funeral.

I just hope that one day when my time is up, I will have friends and loved who will miss me when I am gone … only time will tell.

No comments: