Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Trafalgar Square and Double Decker Busses

We sprinted through the terminal of London’s Heathrow Airport … We ran across the tarmac to our plane. I dropped my panda bear on the way, wrenched my hand away from my father’s to go and retrieve it … I succeeded. We were pressed into the backs of our seats as the plane left the tarmac … Looking out of the window; I viewed, for one last time, the country from which I was born … England.

That was over 40 years ago. I still have that panda bear. It seems that I am destined to have it until my death. I suppose it is the last link from a memory long ago. A lot of time has past and a lot of memories have faded but two memories that seem forever lodged in my mind are that of Trafalgar Square and Double Decker busses.

I remember the large fountain and the lion that seemed to watch over the entire square in guarded fashion. I remember watching as the water gushed out of the bronze figures and into the pool. I remember the massive buildings of years long ago that encircled the square. I remember the hordes of people. I didn’t live in that area as I lived in Sutton Surrey but I do remember us strolling through Trafalgar Square on occasion when my father had to go to London.

I remember the big red Double Decker busses that we hopped on to get to our destinations. I always wanted to ride on top but I suppose we don’t always get what we want. Every once in awhile my parents would give me that chance to make my way to the top to get a better view of the town as we rolled on by.

I am now in my forties and have yet to make my way back to the country from which I was born but I do hope that one day soon, I can walk off that plane at Heathrow, hop onto a Double Decker and make my way to Trafalgar Square … Maybe I will even bring my panda bear back with me!

6 comments:

none said...

I hope you get to go back soon and it lives up to your childhood memories.

Janice Thomson said...

What a trip that will be! Hope it's soon and we get to hear about it.

Cheryl said...

Good story Dave. It's made me think of some of my childhood memeories.

Becky Wolfe said...

That's a good memory! And it sounds like its time for you to get back there. (definitely take the panda) I was there about 3 years ago. It is a beautiful place. But I didn't get a ride in one of those buses. Though Victoria BC has them now too.

CS said...

I went to Trafalgar square as part of a two-week trip to England when I was 18. Great visit, and I loved those buses. I hope you are able to make it back and revisit those days.

Unknown said...

Visiting London was a little like reliving fairy tales from my childhood. Growing up reading about a land filled with kings and queens, singing a song about the London Bridge, and being told in seventh grade Geography class that Thames is pronounced “Tims”, were enough to create in me the desire to visit this place at some point in my life.
My lovely thing in London is DOUBLEDECKER BUS
These are always a treat, either in London or on country roads at times. Perch myself on top deck in the front window seats if possible, just where the tree branches swoosh into the bus in order all Limo London owners envy you. What a view!
I am deeply grateful for being given the opportunity to travel to this amazing city.