Thursday, October 26, 2006

"Gloom, Despair and Agony on Me"

Why is it always that when it rains it pours or that when things happen, they always seem to happen in threes? It reminds me of the song from the old TV show Hee–Haw where Buck Owens & Roy Clark sing the first stanza of the song “Gloom, Despair and Agony on Me”

“Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me”

I have a friend who has been running into a few problems lately. Now, I have no doubt that all of us have similar problems but in her case, it has, once again happened in threes. Her van! Yes, her van. First she was rear-ended by some punk who couldn’t take the time to watch where he was going, secondly the clutch valve in her van gave up the ghost and thirdly, her intake manifold gasket started leaking for the third time (another three!). All of this adds up to about THREE thousand dollars!

Gloom, despair and agony ... THREE words that no doubt currently describes her life.

Now her gloom, despair and agony have made her think that she is just plain bad luck herself! In an email, she makes this statement:

“I don't think it's fair at all. I wish I wasn't such bad luck. It seems to follow me around like an old dog. I hope one day that changes but I fear if it hasn't yet, it never will.”

I have tried to encourage her but, as you probably know, it is difficult to pull someone out of mire. Sometimes it takes more than just one person to pull a friend out. I wish I knew just what to do to help her through this but sometimes when we are in crisis, we just have to work it out by ourselves while others stand by to help pick up the pieces.

Threes … maybe one day Lady Luck will turn the tide for her … somehow I think it will!

No comments: