Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Would I do it again? Absolutely!

If I were to describe myself, I would say that I am a free spirit. Though I have never taken the opportunity, I would travel the world and put down no roots. A while ago I read someone’s blog regarding a friend of theirs who would, once a year, sell all their belongings and travel to distant places until they ran out of money. They then would return home to work for awhile only to again sell of all their belongings and disappear to yet another distant land. Now, I am not proposing that I should do just that but I would definitely love to spend more time uprooted than rooted. I suppose that the one thing that would keep me semi-rooted is my children. Now, considering the readily available communication that we have today, I suppose that no matter where I am, I can always be in contact with them at a moment’s notice.

I had never taken real notice of a magazine advertisement before until I came across this one. The words are as follows…

Backpacked across Europe.

Visited town where grandfather grew up.

Discovered grandfather still owes some guy a lot of money.

Would you do it again? Yes or No

Upon reading this ad, I immediately cut it out of the magazine, framed it and mounted it upon my wall. I have since used it for inspiration when I feel that I am starting to get bogged down.

Sometimes in life we feel as if we are walking through a farmer’s field knee deep in mud… Every step is laborious; every breath is hard. It seems like we are putting so much effort into something and getting nowhere… tied down and claustrophobic. It is when I feel like this that I look up at this ad and remind myself that one day this will be me.

Today is not that day.

At this present time, I have many responsibilities that keep me rooted… not that I am complaining about that though. As a father, I have children to raise up through high school and into college. As a son, I have responsibilities to my aging parents. As a teacher, I have responsibilities to my career. As an individual, I have responsibilities to the betterment of myself.

I do know, however, that one day, my ship will come in and the opportunity will arise where I will be able to set myself free to explore the world as I have so often dreamed of.

One day … That day will come!

14 comments:

none said...

I didn't have the foresight to do it when I was young. I try to take driving trips with the family now. Who knows? Like you say, maybe in the future the ship will come in.

Billy said...

I think we all secretly want to live that life. I know that if I didn't have a kid, I would definitely entertain the idea.

Regula Scheifele said...

I enjoyed your thoughts very much. And I agree that we probably all have this urge to just go, leave everything behind, find out who we are when we're not firmly routed in our everyday life. Re-invent ourselves.
And we probably fear we miss out on something if we don't get the chance to do that.
But then again "life's a journey" in itself (sorry to be so cliché), and as you say in your profile: "I’m not the same person I once was." How's that for a journey?

btw: if/when you're passing through Switzerland let me know!

Janice Thomson said...

A great idea Dave...hope you get to follow through on it! I come from a traditional farming community where things like this are frowned upon..I guess some folks are meant to stay in one place all their lives...not me though...I have little baggage and move around a lot ...and wouldn't have it any other way! So keep preparing for that travel Dave...it does wonders for the soul.

Jazz said...

I hear you Dave. Ever since Mr. Jazz and I have bought our cottage we travel a lot less. And though I do love our cottage in the woods, I miss going off to Asia at the drop of a hat. I find it frustrating that at this point I can't do both.

Becky Wolfe said...

Yes, globetrotting is definitely life changing. I feel that same 'free spirit' lifestyle calling me to the 4 corners constantly, aching for adventure, though I am starting to put down some roots these days. I'm thankful for the chance I had to do some travelling as it was a 'who am I really?' experience for me. And I hope that I will still get to explore a few new places in the future!

Even a couple weeks somewhere can be the adventure you crave, and still fit into your schedule of responsibilities. Just think, Mt. Kilimanjaro is only a 5 day hike! That's what got me there!

Angel said...

I think that's really brave to sell all of your stuff and just take off....I like to think that I could do that, but.......in reality, I don't think that would ever happen.

But it's nice to dream about!

Anonymous said...

I love reading travelogues but I don't think I would be brave enough to do something like this myself.

polona said...

it takes some guts to let go of everything and set off on a journey. but if you really want to do it now is as good a time as any...

Jo said...

Dave, it can be done. My brother did it. Travelled everywhere, Europe, Asia, Australia, Africa.

Your ship will come in, and off you will sail on it.

Cheers,
Josie

Anonymous said...

Great post! I just love love coming here!

If you ever find yourself forced to lay no roots for a long period of time, you will eventually discover, that sometimes, being "rooted" is the nicest thing to be.

You'll see what I mean if you have a chance to read my post on the Echotree, I'll apologize now for it being too long.

Dave said...

Hi Hammer!...Well if it does come in, better late than never right? :-)

Hi abbagirl!...I agree with you there. Though I certainly DO love my kids, I would have had a lot different life without them...though, I must add, that if I was to do it all over agin, I would most certainly choose my kids over my desires for travel.

Hi Regula Scheifele!...I agree...Life IS a journey. If I ever get to Switzerland, I might just do that! :-)

Hi Janice!...I have noticed that as well where the previous generations tended to stay around the community much more.

Hi Jazz!... We have had a cottage in the family since 1945 and this is a big reason we haven't travelled much either.

Hi Becky!... Now YOU are indeed the globetrotting Blogger of the group! Talking about globetrotting, I answered your comment regarding Freddie Mercury... Did you get a chance to read it?

Hi Beth!...Well, if I were to sell off all my stuff, it shouldn't take too long ... LOL Yes, it is nice to dream about. :-)

Hi Trish!... You are right about you having to be brave. I think we all want to be brave but that doesn't make us brave now does it!

Hi Polona!... Well, with kids, now's not the time for me but one day... :-)

Hi Josie!...I know one day I will... My ship WILL indeed one day arrive... Hopefully it's a cruise ship! :-)

Hi Proxima!... You make a good point. I will check your blog out. Thanks for the info. :-)

Marie-Hélène Raletz said...

It's all about choices and priorities, isn't it? ;)

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I've always wanted to see the world, but not as a tourist who is photographed in front of cathedrals and museums. I want to live among the people in many different places and learn their languages so I will know what it is really like to live there. At the same time, it's always been important to me to have a home.

I tried to join the Peace Corps when I was in my 20's, but I had children and they wouldn't take me. Now they are all grown, but I still have other responsibilities, and lack the means to travel much.

I will always be an anthropologist at heart, though.