Thursday, December 07, 2006

Canadian Winters

I don’t know about you but I live in a country that gets pretty cold between the months of December to March. Now I don’t just mean cool, rainy and windy … I am talking about frigid, snowy, slushy, slippery and just downright nasty! Just today, the temperature dipped below minus 10 degrees Celsius (14 degree Fahrenheit). If the weather is true to form, by January it should as cold as minus 20 degrees Celsius (minus 2 degrees Fahrenheit).

Currently, I have a friend who is vacationing in Cuba where the weather is forecasted as being very hot and sunny… Now that’s where I want to be! So, for all you folks in the hot weather climate, I envy you!

Now if you envy me because you are always hot and think it would be nice to live in a cold climate for a change, you need to be straightened out. A Word of advice? Stay where you are … Do not come here to Canada … I know that the land is beautiful and I know that the people are grand but you don’t need the aggravation of freezing your behind off. Think of frostbite! Think of hypothermia! Think of how it would be to live inside one big friggen ice box! You get the picture? I sure hope you do because I don’t want to see you here in pain which you will most certainly be once you get off the plane.

I could show you some magnificent photos of how beautiful our Northern forests look in the middle of winter but you really don’t want to see it for yourself if you have to experience the feeling of your nose freezing, your fingers and toes going numb and your ears about to fall off. So take it from me … it is unpleasant living in Canada in the dead of winter.

Now despite all that I have said, I must admit that I have a love-hate relationship for my country. I hate the cold but love basically everything else that Canada has to offer. I am a proud Canadian and I would wear the Canadian flag on my backpack wherever I would travel in the world. So, if you want to experience the beauty of Canada … think summer time!

No comments: