Monday, December 04, 2006

Ken and Mary Donald

My mother has an appointment to attend to this afternoon but I am unable to drive her there as I will still be at work. She called me a few minutes ago and told me that Ken and Mary Donald would be driving her. Now I have known Ken and Mary Donald for over thirty years and so, knowing the way they are, it didn’t surprise me in the least that they would be helping my mother in this predicament.

During the formative years of my life, Ken and Mary were two of the four youth leaders in the church I attended. I spent many a Sunday morning in Sunday School listening to “Mr. Donald” as he expounded God’s word to the eager ears of the Senior Teens group … Well maybe not “eager ears” but ears none-the-less ears. What he spoke to us about, however, I have never forgotten. He would stand there and show us out of the Bible how we as Christian youth should live, love and learn. To me, it wasn’t really what he spoke about but how he lived his life in front of us. He and his wife “Mrs. Donald” loved what they did and they loved who they did it for … God’s children.

On occasion throughout my life, I have had the opportunity to speak to my former youth leaders and every time the opportunity has arisen, I have tried to show them, through my actions, how much they are appreciated by me. I have often thought that the former youth of their youth groups should reunite before it is too late and honour them for their undying dedication in bringing God’s love to hundreds of youth throughout the years. They are most certainly a blessed couple.

So, Ken and Mary, thank you for the influence that you have been in my life. I owe you more than you can imagine!

No comments: